[Chicago] [PyCON-Organizers] My visit to the conference hotel

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Wed Mar 5 22:37:44 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
>  Ask CTE if we get charged for wasted portions.

We get charged for what we order. There is typically some waste, which
we do pay for, but they try to minimize it. Last year we ordered about
5%-10% less than the attendance numbers warranted, and there was
enough (but not too much waste!).

CTE will have one or two people on-site at all times, watching the
food situation and making sure we get what we ask and pay for.

>  If there is waste,
>  1) ask what the hotel does with it. Maybe it goes for meals for hotel
>  staff. end of story, that's not a bad destination
>  2) if it is legal, and logistics are not unwieldy, consider donating
>  to http://www.chicagosfoodbank.org/

I asked about this, and the answer is: sometimes, it depends. The
hotel has an arrangement with "Share" or "Second Harvest", but not
everything is eligible. The hotel is liable if anyone gets sick from
their food, so they're very careful.

In any case, there's nothing we can do about it at this point. The
logistics would be unwieldy.

--
David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>