[Chicago] [PyCON-Organizers] My visit to the conference hotel

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 06:20:53 CET 2008

Yes, thank you for those directions. I didn't quite remember them, but they must have been somewhere in the back of mind. That's probably why I thought it would be a good idea to follow that one guy, even though everybody else was going in another direction.

Anthony Rubin <anthony.r.rubin at gmail.com> wrote: Feihong Hsu wrote:
> I recently took the CTA to get to Rosemont and thought I would add my
> thoughts. I think it takes a more than 5 minutes to get from the
> station to the hotel (it's more like 10). Especially if you aren't
> sure of the way and are lugging your baggage behind you. Immediately
> upon exiting the station, there were no street signs in plain view so
> I was at a loss as to which direction to go. Also, with the snow piled
> up, I wasn't even sure where the walkways were. I ended up following
> this one guy, hoping he was going towards where I wanted to go :-\
>
> So yeah, I think if they allow us we ought to post some signs at the
> CTA station, with some pointers on which way to walk (for the record,
> once you exit the station you turn left immediately, then turn left
> again, walk under the overpass, keep walking for half a mile, and the
> hotel is on the other side of the road).
>
> I don't know what the weather will be like in March, but there was a
> decent amount of ice on the sidewalk last Thursday (mostly under the
> overpass, which doesn't get much sun). I'm used to walking on ice, but
> if you're from warmer climes... Well, I hope we can arrange a shuttle
> to the hotel.

A few days ago I posted directions to the hotel from the CTA station. As
it is almost half a mile and you have to cross the street it does take
about ten minutes to get there. I timed it on Thursday and I knew
exactly where I was going.

They will likely have the sidewalks cleaned up well on the weekend of
PyCon because of the Chicago Flower & Garden Show. They will probably
have cops helping people cross River Road as well.

Anthony Rubin
Chicago, IL