[Chicago] MeetUp

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Fri Jun 27 17:10:51 CEST 2008

It sounds like we mostly agree Meetup does not work the way we want
100%. I think we agreed already we do not want to rely on it solely.

Should we now consider the impact of getting an account and use it for
mirroring purposes?   Perhaps it can mimic our normal behavior. I just
want to increase our exposure. I hear too frequently that people
simply forget about ChiPy meetings until the day after. And they say
that they would have come if but forgot. What may be happening here is
our simple email notification is not annoying enough to remind people.

I also hear that people were not aware ChiPy existed.  Its not so much
a problem with those who know Python already. Mostly, its those who
are looking for the best language fit and may benefit from our
meetings I want to capture here. I do not know if this is the whole
20%. Then, certainly, there are some regulars who I want to convince,
as well. Yes, there are some hard-core Python people who fail to come
to meetings. Our topics and presentations are top notch and I feel
more will come if we do a better job announcing up coming events in a
more timely and systematic manner.

OTOH, I do not want to hurt our reputation by becoming Yet Another
Meetup.  Its a balancing act between getting exposure and exploiting
ourselves.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog