[Chicago] MeetUp

Chris McAvoy chris.mcavoy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 19:52:49 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Ted Pollari <tcp at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2008, at 9:38 AM, Chris McAvoy wrote:
>
>> I don't have a strong opinion either way.  Meetup is pretty nice,
>> especially for the cross-pollination effect and ease of finding
>> groups, but I don't think we _need_ it to thrive.  As for the cost,
>> I'm 100% sure we can pass that on as some sort of corporate
>> sponsorship deal.
>>
>> So, basically, if the consensus is to go with meetup, let's go with
>> meetup.
>>

> Honestly, there's just something about meetup that rubs me the wrong way.
>
> But, seriously, what's broken with how ChiPy has been working up until now?
>  If that can't be spelled out clearly, this is a solution in search of a
> problem.

Nothing's broken, but it's always good to think of ways to push the
language down people's throats.  I was always pretty much anti-meetup
until my wife became a SAHM (stay at home Mom), she's found a ton of
good meetups.  Brian is right, that we might see a lift in
participation if we incorporate meetup.  That said, we might see a
lift in a bad way.  Who knows.  It's clearly the most important
decision we've ever made.  Ever.

It totally isn't.

Like just about every other thing we've ever done "as a group," this
will ultimately succeed or fail based on some determined person's wish
to get us on meetup.  If that person chooses to step forward and do
it, then we'll most likely end up on meetup.

Anarchy!

Chris