[Chicago] Vim or Emacs

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at imagescape.com
Mon Jun 2 18:30:43 CEST 2008

> Emacs, far easier to use.  You can start using like you would use
> notepad or nano, and slowly learn things along the way that make it
> into a more powerful editior.  I personally can't stand the
> keybindings...and each time I try emacs, I tend to wish i could map
> certain keys to a footpedal or an extra input.

Actually, I'd disagree on this one... I don't think emacs is very easy
to pick up.  I love it, but it takes quite a bit of getting used to to
use it the "right" way.  Scrollbars (if you have them enabled) don't
work the way you expect, the menu is confusing, and windows are called
frames and frames are called windows.  (This is mostly because there
*weren't* frames or windows when Emacs started, and a window referred
to a "window of text")

However, I might recommend that to avoid the "emacs claw" (the
scrunched up, totally RSI'd pinky finger), you should remap capslock
to control.  It makes emacs' keybindings fairly effortless to press.
Besides, if you're a nerd, chances are you like keyboard shortcuts,
and having control where capslock is is generally just a good idea.
Plus, how often do you use CAPS LOCK?  Chances are, unless you get
into a lot of flamewars, it ranges from either "not very often" to
"never".  Make good use of that key!

> wow....  a thread about emacs vs vim that didn't turn into a flame
> war.  I'm kind of impressed.

Agreed :)