[Chicago] import question

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:01:01 CET 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 1:42 PM, Massimo Di Pierro <mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> Sorry but I follow a different philosophy in web2py.
> While my users are free to run from source and install any module
> they want, I try to make it easier for them.

why is this a "different" philosophy?  We're just suggesting that your
approach of transforming each 3rd party module into a submodule will
create lots of tedious work since you will likely have to change
import paths in multiple places, those places varying each time the
package changes.  If you were to bundle your dependencies in a way
similar to how python allows one to install a dependency, your life
might be a lot easier and your users' lives will not get any harder
(this is all an implementation detail that they don't need to know
about anyway).

The 6th or so line on the py2exe FAQ is this:

"After py2exe has done its magic, you should have a "dist" directory
with all the files necessary to run your python script. No install
necessary. Click and run. No DLL hell, nothing else to download."

it goes on to say, one of the dist files is "library.zip," a standard
zip file where all the pure source modules will be inserted.  Is that
not a place you can put 3rd party libs?  If you are trying to get this
working in py2exe only as an option then when not in py2exe you should
be able to use a custom sys.path; I don't see why not.

http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/FAQ