[Chicago] web2py 1.20 is out

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 06:26:51 CET 2008

There is no right framework for every need. I do get the feeling that
maybe what you are looking for is a "full-stack" framework like
TurboGears. Of the various Python web frameworks, TurboGears comes
closest to addressing everything from backend to frontend. Google
around for a screencast that shows how to use TurboGears in
conjunction with Adobe Flex. Unfortunately, there isn't any special
integration between the two, it's just the two frameworks
communicating via JSON. However, adding JSON support for a controller
method in TurboGears is super trivial (just put @expose("json") on
top of the method).

Personally, I think that every Python web programmer should try
making their own web framework. Not because it's a "cool" thing to
do, but because it helps you understand the design decisions. With
this knowledge you are better prepared to evaluate the tradeoffs that
each framework makes. And really, it's not so hard to build your
framework, if you start off from something like Paste (which is like
a framework for making frameworks). I should mention that the cool
web-based debugger in Pylons actually comes from Paste, and you can
use it in any framework built on top of Paste.

I made a crappy framework a long time ago, but after doing some
programming in Django and Pylons, I feel ready to start working on my
second one. I'm not even going to bother with an ORM, I'm just going
to use CouchDB for the database ;-)