[Chicago] web2py 1.20 is out

Daniel Griffin dgriff1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:29:33 CET 2008

I am also confused. There seems to be 2 types of framework, the opinionated
holier than thou kind(Ruby on Rails, Django) and the super flexible,
everything to everybody kind like Pylons.

The one thing I dont really understand is constantly re-writing pieces like
ORM or template languages. I have been using Pylons(with varying success)
which leans slightly towards SQLAlchemy and Mako, but will also work with
SQLObject, DBapi, Kid, Myghty and a slew of other things, which is nice but
also very confusing since the documentation is rough and packed with side
notes. I would really like Prof. Di Pierro's input on this and why he went
the way he did with web2py.

I still havent found a framework that is easy to use for me, namely flexible
ORM(support for multiple databases, composite keys) and easy presentation
using Ext, Prototype etc. Pylons really falls down when it comes to
presentation, I want quick and easy forms and Pylons hasnt really delivered.

I have been trying to solve a much larger problem than any of these
frameworks really prepares me for, namely working with creating a web
front-end to a mature piece of enterprise software. Pylons has given me the
most hope so far, but I think I am still going to end up writing a ton of
boilerplate code.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant and I dont mean to be rude to Prof. Di
Pierro, I am just struggling to figure out which way is the right way.

Dan