[Chicago] Migratory, a new Django database migration system.

Brantley Harris deadwisdom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 00:05:41 CET 2008

I got tired of waiting for this system, so I made it myself.  So far
it really only works with SQLite, and I haven't gotten many edge cases
tested yet.  Anyone have time to give me some feedback?  Thanks.

(from http://www.bitbucket.org/DeadWisdom/migratory/wiki/Home)

So the idea is a django orm database migration system that:
  * Is simple.
  * Doesn't make you use sql.  This is an orm, we shouldn't have to use sql.
  * Can be automatic. Predicts the migration script for you so you
don't have to think about what has changed.
  * Works well in a version control system, or even distributed ones.
Because damnit.
  * During the migration process, **allows you to use the state of
your previous models as if they were still there**.  This is key, and
is not done anywhere else, as far as I know.