[Chicago] Language comparisons

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Dec 18 18:59:22 CET 2008

I'd like to also know about, for example
* ease of packaging
* maintainability
* ease of deployment
* performance
* dependency handling
* ease of writing extensions
* availability of libraries

...comparison of GUI tool kits, etc.

Don't think we could handle that in an hour. People could pick the
areas where the language is strong and focus on those perhaps.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Daniel Griffin <dgriff1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be interesting to come up with some common set of tasks to use for
> comparison. Maybe implementing a few fundamental algorithms like quick sort,
> heap sort, creating a binary tree. I can write these up in C to show a
> baseline.
>
> Instead of saying Python has lists! Erlang is functional! tcl/tk does
> something!
>
> Dan
>
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:41 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> Do we have volunteers for other languages? We could approach Martin
>> Logan to see if he'd be willing to discuss Erlang (we don't have a
>> strong stackless showing though).
>>
>> We should prepare a list of things to compare. and perhaps we will
>> need a pyconic sessionista to help keep the meeting from going too
>> long.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
>> > I vote for the topic, and I may be able to have a good presenter on
>> > tcl/tk assuming Thursdays work for him. He would be awesome and I
>> > think tcl is better than python in some regards so I'd like for him to
>> > provide comparisons to show strengths and weaknesses.
>> >
>> > --
>> > sheila
>> >

>> --
>> sheila