[Chicago] SCons

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 20:16:48 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:07 PM, curtin at acm.org <brian.curtin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just curious -- is there something particularly wrong with using
> distutils.core?

I just meant don't use it for a "build system" because that's not what
it is.  distutils helps you make and reuse common commands.  If that's
all you need then it works OK.  However, distutils.core.Command is a
pain to work with; it requires lots of boilerplate code, option
configuration is unintuitive, errors get swallowed easily, etc.  As
Garrett pointed out I think the bigger problem is declarative vs.
imperative (distutils is declarative), summarized nicely in the paver
docs: http://www.blueskyonmars.com/projects/paver/foreword.html