[Chicago] help from Django and Pylons developers

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 28 21:17:27 CEST 2008

Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
>>   An example of the first would be a database configuration parameter
>> (which
>> web2py embeds in the source, which frankly gives it a scrappy PHP feel
>> with regard to configuration).
>
> Not sure what you mean. web2py you specify a connection string in the
> application configuration (in my examples I do in the model files)
> because every app has its own databases. It is not in the controllers or
> in the views (which PHP mix up).

I only noticed it in the examples you did -- if that's just a shorthand
you used for doing live examples, but there's a clearer way to set up
that configuration, then that's fine I guess.  The norm in PHP is, I
think, to have every page include some file and that file contains
variable assignments which make up the configuration.  As such the
difference between code and configuration is blurred.

So, if web2py has application configuration, is the real distinction
between that and Pylons just that applications start with a kind of null
configuration that is enough for it to work?  Pylons technically doesn't
need any configuration parameters for a basic application to run, but it
does need a configuration file to refer to the application you are
running.  That configuration file itself is, in this basic state, kind
of equivalent to the web-based setup of applications in web2py.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org