[Chicago] help from Django and Pylons developers

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Apr 28 19:16:30 CEST 2008

Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am writing a comparison between web2py and other frameworks. Here is a
> draft:
>
> http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/static/web2py_vs_others.pdf
>
> I do not want to say something incorrect about other frameworks so if I
> do, could you please correct me?
>
> Please do not criticize my choice of comparables or my choice of
> features. Since I am writing this I am allowed to introduce a bias
> towards what I consider important.
> Nevertheless I will appreciate suggestions about things that you
> consider important and may be missing from the list.

I'm not sure what you mean by Byte Code Compilation.  If you mean: a
documented method of distributing byte code without source code, then
yeah.  Any Python system can be distributed like that.  Projects I work
on don't document that because we generally think it's silly and
obstructionist (but people do ask about it every so often).  Note also
that you can decompile Python bytecode to fairly readable source (better
than Java).

Pylons also includes error emailing.

Re: App Engine: Pylons applications, when developed locally with the
limitations of App Engine (including things like version requirements),
can be run unmodified on App Engine.  Though admittedly without running
the SDK you won't have the Datastore, and so you couldn't do much of
interest without an abstraction library that worked over the Datastore
and some other storage.

Pylons supports multiple caching backends, not just memcached.  They are
listed here:
http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/beaker/Configuration+Options#ConfigurationOptions-type

I'm not sure about the distinction between i18n built-in or third party.
  Pylons sets up a _() function by default (the standard convention for
this).  There are i18n libraries developed in conjunction with Pylons.

SQLObject is "SQLObject", not "SQLObjects"

Left outer joins are possible in SQLObject, but not using the ORM:
http://sqlobject.org/SQLObject.html#left-join-and-other-joins

Re: multiple databases -- I'm not entirely clear what you mean.  You can
connect to multiple databases.

Re: double submit: Django includes this:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/csrf/
Pylons includes this:
http://pylonshq.com/docs/module-pylons.decorators.secure.html

Re: simplejson/Django -- don't they include simplejson directly, just
like web2py?

Re: file streaming -- I'm not sure what you mean.  Depending on what you
mean, it may or may not be correct for any number of frameworks.

Pylons supports If-Modified-Since and other headers by default (when you
serve a file using paste.fileapp.FileApp), including Range requests and
ETags.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org