[Chicago] help from Django and Pylons developers

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Mon Apr 28 19:06:56 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Massimo Di Pierro
<mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
>  I am writing a comparison between web2py and other frameworks. Here is a
> draft:
>
>  http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/static/web2py_vs_others.pdf
>
>  I do not want to say something incorrect about other frameworks so if I do,
> could you please correct me?
>
>  Please do not criticize my choice of comparables or my choice of features.
> Since I am writing this I am allowed to introduce a bias towards what I
> consider important.
>  Nevertheless I will appreciate suggestions about things that you consider
> important and may be missing from the list.

Django is what I'm involved with (both on the OSS side and as our web
framework of choice at work), so I looked your comparison over with an
eye towards that.

Left outer joins: You might want to specify that you're only listing
if it's possible with the ORM, since Django (and perhaps other
frameworks) always allows you to drop out to raw SQL if need be.  I
haven't had too much of a chance to play with the new
queryset-refactor code that was just merged in, so perhaps glance over
that.

Migrations: You might want to make the table state "automatic
migrations" or "assisted migrations" or somesuch; working directly
against the database, it's always possible to effect a migration.  ;-)

Multiple databases: I believe that's in a branch, not a hack.

JSON: Django *includes* simplejson.

Documentation: You're really selling the Django docs short; there's
the online docs; separate from that, there's at least two books in
print (one of which is open-sourced and available online), with more
books on the way.

A few of the other things will be "yes" in the near future; many
others, of course, simply come down to disagreements over whether
something is a "feature" at all (and I find it odd that you haven't
looked at Zope, since much of what you're touting as features is
Zope-style: the web-based programming, configuration, etc.) -- but
it's your comparison, so you get to spin it however you want.  ;-)