[Chicago] Better than Python?

Jon Sudlow jsudlow at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 02:49:57 CEST 2008

Ruby has some nice idioms like conditional assignments and symbols that
sometimes make things easier. Also indentation is not enforced. I think if
your someone who hates the indentation of python, then this scripted lang
might be fun for you. And I have to admit, I really like Ruby on Rails.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Atul Varma <varmaa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the concept of extending the Python with new concurrency models,
> language features, and so on, I think that one of the most interesting
> projects out there is PyPy, which allows for features from other languages
> to be "ported over" to Python relatively easily.  Granted, last I looked
> PyPy wasn't in a state where it was terribly easy for anyone outside of its
> core development team to do this; but over the past year or two, one major
> way I've learned about interesting features of other languages has been by
> seeing them experimentally ported over to Python through PyPy.  It's a great
> way to preserve Python's user-friendliness while still getting some amount
> of innovation at the language level.
>
> - Atul
>

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Rob Kapteyn <robkapteyn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Threading, Concurrency, and Distributed programming are become more and
> > more important.I have heard that these *might* be better supported by
> > Erlang, http://www.erlang.org/. <http://www.erlang.org/>
> > I am skeptical, because I have not personally seen it in action in the
> > real-world, but it is probably the
> > next language I will study.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > On Apr 11, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Mike Kramlich wrote:
> >
> > First let me say I love Python and think it's well-designed,
> > practical, clear, flexible, chocolate-tasting, etc., and it's my
> > default language for hammering nails.
> >
> > That out of the way, I wanted to throw out a question to the list that
> > I've been wondering about. Does anyone have their eye on any other
> > language to sort of potentially maybe one day replace Python in their
> > toolbox. I'm not interested in special-purpose tools that could outdo
> > Python in one specific area, but rather, something general enough that
> > means it could be your next big all-purpose Hammer.
> >
> > Bonus points if it's not associated with Microsoft, and doesn't
> > require you to end code blocks with "end". :)
> >
> > Mike Kramlich
> > ZodLogic Games
> > http://zodlogic.webfactional.com

Jon Sudlow