[Chicago] web page content scraper

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu
Thu Apr 10 00:18:58 CEST 2008

I posted my toy screen scraper on

    http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples/static/scraper.py

There seem to be a lot of expertise on the list on this topic so
perhaps you can help make it better or just use it to make your
better. Currently it scrapes correctly wikipedia page given two
examples, extracts all repeated tags, removes all text and replaces
it with "text", finds all link and it handles javascript properly.

It uses the LCS applied to symbols (tags) instead of character.
Something I suggested when Adrian gave us an excellent presentation
on this topic.

What's missing:
1) after it finds all links, which it does (except for links in css
and javascript) it should loop over then, download the images, rename
them and rename the links.
2) It may introduce some spurious close tags. They have to be removed.

Eventually I would like to add a button to the web2py admin interface
that says: "make my app look like that one" and it will scrape the
other one, download images and build a new web2py template. I am
close but I could use some help.

Massimo