[Chicago] Chance to try out AppEngine (and make my life easier)

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 20:42:06 CEST 2008

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Massimo Di Pierro <mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Let me think about this for one week.
> >
> > After being the only one who the spent the night working on the
> > flourish rumble I feel particularly dumb and kind of tired of doing
> > pro bono work.
> >
> > One prerequisite for giving it to you is that you commit to using
> > web2py for your project (which by the way has no problem talking to
> > appengine).

I wasn't asking you to do any work pro bono, I was asking if you're
willing to share the results of work you've already done without
anyone asking. Parsing the data from HTML is about half hour worth of
work, so if you think I'm going to wait a week for you to make up your
mind and then be forced into using any particular framework you're
very mistaken.

I don't think you should actively try to ram your framework down the
throat of people that don't want to use it. As far as I'm concerned
you're going to have a tough time selling me on any framework where
development is done over the web, unless you also provide a web based
version of Emacs. Also, take a look at

web2py Enterprise Web Framework: Free and open source full-stack
enterprise framework for agile development of secure database-driven
web-based applications, written and programmable in Python.

Pylons is a lightweight web framework emphasizing flexibility and
rapid development.

Django: The web framework for perfectionists with deadlines

Based on that description alone, which framework do you think most
people would like to try? If I take out the filler words  (the "free
and open source", the "enterprise part", the "agile development" part
and the "database-driven" part) I'm left with:

full-stack framework for web applications written and programmable in
Python. (The last framework I remember mentioning full-stack in the
description is http://www.springframework.org/). Drop the pretentious
description and try something like "web2py: the easy to use web
framework". Oh, and the fact that your screen cast is not recording
the full screen and is following the cursor around makes it incredibly
distracting, you should consider redoing it.

--
Cosmin Stejerean
http://blog.offbytwo.com