[Chicago] Google App engine is python powered

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Wed Apr 9 17:44:50 CEST 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 4:35 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Google's restricting data persistence because they need to replicate
> across servers in multiple locations. All of the distributed
> databases I've seen (Couch, Mnesia, SimpleDB) compromise consistency
> at some level to support distributed, non-blocking writes. If you
> want to avoid the availability and scale problems of a single master/
> slave cluster, you'll need to venture out into the wilderness of
> these strange data stores.

Another one to add to your list is my project GrassyKnoll: http://grassyknoll.googlecode.com

It's got a very similar model to the above.  It's distinguished by:

  * Python, Python, Python!
  * open source
  * choice of persistence layer - lucene, sqlite, gdbm, memcached, S3,
metakit
  * JSON
  * RESTful HTTP throughout - the same code is used for client/server
& internal replication
  * younger and needing assistance
  * did I mention Python?

> Where's *your* CouchDB t-shirt, loser.

New policy: All GrassyKnoll contributors get a free t-shirt!*

--Pete

* T-shirts may or may not: mention GrassyKnoll, be the correct size,
or be clean.

--
Pete
pfein at pobox.com