[Chicago] Google App engine is python powered

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 20:48:26 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Garrett Smith <garrett at mojave-corp.com> wrote:
>  Google mentions that they might support other languages in the future. I doubt it. The sandboxing that they require and that's trivial in Python is not so in PHP, Ruby, and  Java. Neither PHP nor Ruby is in Google's core competency and, while Java is one of the three internally supported Google languages (the others being C and Python), I can't see it running in the distributed environment Google's providing.

Google App Engine seems like it's designed for use by developers,
*any* developer.  The more the better!  If Google Apps want to achieve
this goal then they will release a PHP, Ruby, and Java version *very
soon*.  And they will because their main competitor, EC2, already
supports it all.  Besides, Google has always been very agile about how
they release products.  Remember when Google Code came out?  It barely
had any features at all and there was a lot of booing and hissing
about "missing feature X."  Do you remember when Codeplex came out? (
http://www.codeplex.com/ ).  Of course you don't ;)  It looks to me
like Microsoft waited until Codeplex had *all* of those desired
features before releasing it.  If Google had waited until App Engine
supported all the languages they wanted to target then it wouldn't get
released until next year :)

>  So, it turns out that Python really *is* it.

but, yes, this is extremely helpful to the Python community because
you know there are some people out there who are going plug their nose
and say "whitespace, it's just you and me.  We Can do this.  I'm not
afraid!  I'm learning Python just so I can play with Google App
Engine"