[Chicago] Free associations and Re: [OT] recruiter spam?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sat Oct 13 01:29:20 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:55:40PM -0400, Peter Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 11:46:34AM -0500, Martin Maney wrote:
> > BTW, and thinking of the recent discussion, I see you still have a very
> > typical blog, with nasty teeny body text (sized in pixels, for all
> > that's silly!) and lots of useless, blog-standard whitespace making the
> > text a fairly narrow column.
>
> Yep, guilty as charged. I found a WordPress theme, dropped it in, spent
> a few hours tinkering with it, and called it good. I've been meaning for
> almost two years now to get back to it, improve it a bit, and write up a
> blog post about it, but it has been stuck in "If it's not too badly
> broken..." category.
>
> Hey, I'm open to diffs...

--- style.css, line 42
- font-size: 11px;

That makes it readable, but unless your font was 11px anyway you may
want to fiddle with other layout elements.  The "width: 65%" on line
551 of style.css is the one I had firebug disable, but I think I saw
some metadata that was displayed to the left of the content (not here,
so it must only have been on a linked-to page?) which seemed to get
pushed right out of sight, so simple elimination probably isn't going
to do the job.

I also found the text more readable when the various shade of grey
color: items were turned off - there were two along the inheritance
path IIRC - but that wasn't too bad - #222222 only made it look a bit
faded.

Just want to mention again that you're only getting this possibly
useful feedback because of the fine folks who gave us firebug.  There
have been other vaguely similar tools done as Firefox plugins, but none
of them have been useful enough that I kept them (though that may have
more to do with the amount of web design & troubleshooting I find
myself doing these days).

--
Neither can his mind be in tune, whose words do jarre,
nor his reason in frame, whose sentence is preposterous.  -- Ben Jonson