[Chicago] [OT] Is it just me ...

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Wed Oct 10 13:41:48 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 12:31:56AM -0400, Pete wrote:
> Y'all need a serious dose of WWW, circa 1998, courtesy of Links2:
> http://links.twibright.com/
>
> Super lightweight, images and some javascript support, but no CSS (a good
> thing, sometimes).

Absoutely.  I still find that turning off CSS is usually the quickest
way to make most sites with teeny-tiny type and idiotically narrow
columns more pleasant to read.  ...assuming I don't just close that tab
and move on.

> And no, I don't understand what's up with the author's obsession with accurate
> color reproduction.

Some people just do care.  You can tell 'cause they'll never use an LCD
without complaining about it.  :-)

Seriously?  Might also be related to some of the pretty amazing
problems that I've read about in earlier (?) browsers - what I dimly
recall offhand is a warning about expecting (some?) browsers to render
a background color to match the same RGB value in an image.  Perhaps
that was a relic of the nineties and the days when an 8-bit palette was
state of the art.  But after seeing the web site I incline to the
theory that Accurate Color is just the author's pet hot button... just
as many of us get huffy about elegant code. <wink>

--
Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity
of the winner of this year's presidential election, the identity