[Chicago] understanding unicode problems

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri Nov 16 18:20:25 CET 2007

Pete wrote:
> On Friday November 16 2007 11:10:47 am Pete wrote:
>> Here's a little picture:
>>
>> network => str => decode => unicode => munge => encode => disk
>
> Oops, left out the 2nd str.  Should be:
>
> network => str => decode => unicode => munge => encode => str => disk

huh?

I am guessing the whole "what is a byte" and how python stores data in memory is
still thwarting my understanding.   hmm, don't really need to know "how" it is
stored, just... um.. how to talk about it abstractly or something.  This may be
part of the unicode problem: the terms used when talking about it have different
meanings to the speaker and listener.  maybe.

Carl K