[Chicago] Help with PyCon Talk Proposals

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu Nov 15 06:29:09 CET 2007

Feihong Hsu wrote:
> I'm not really familiar with Unicode issues involving email. Were you able to resolve the problem in the end?

I was told "make sure the subject are ascii to reduce being labeled as spam."

this took care of it:
subject = safe_ascii_encode(subject)

> But I personally haven't had any database or GUI framework issues with Unicode in a long time. Well, MySQL comes to mind, but they supposedly fixed those problems.

I think there was something in the djagno unit tests that bit me.  like I hadn't
created the db right.

I often wonder "why doesn't this stuff just work?"  and conclude that I must not
understand it.

Carl K