[Chicago] next meeting talk- topic request

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Nov 7 00:45:27 CET 2007

Feihong Hsu wrote:
> I talked to my boss about hosting chipy meetings.  She was very amenable
> to the idea, but told me that to convince the higher-ups I would have to
> justify it through the viewpoint of "business reasons".  Has anyone else
> had to go through this kind of process to convince their company to host
> a user's group meeting?

Business reasons: increase the visibility of your company to developers
in the Chicago area.  This makes hiring a lot easier, and makes your
company more attractive.  To a degree it makes people in the community
more amenable to answering questions and generally being helpful towards
employees at your company.  And of course, it is a sign that the company
supports its employees' professional development and interest in the
craft of programming.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org