[Chicago] Stackless

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jun 5 21:28:29 CEST 2007

Chris McAvoy wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought that stackless was a way to provide faux-concurrency, sort
>> of like Twisted, that makes it easier to conceptualize threads without
>> necessarily giving you the performance boost of a truly threaded app.
>
> Yes Chris McAvoy, you are right, they're called "Green Threads."  You
> knew this, you just forgot...somehow.

They also don't have protected memory across their threads, which makes
Stackless less interesting IMHO (compared to, say, the Erlang model).
Actually I guess these are similar issues, as the shared memory is why
the GIL gets invoked so much, which kills the multicore stuff.

That said, apparently people do some really fast stuff with Stackless.
That EVwhatever MMORPG uses Stackless a lot, for instance.