[Chicago] Stackless

Chris McAvoy chris.mcavoy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:51:54 CEST 2007

Hi All,

This Stackless tutorial has a blurb about "concurrency is the new
thing" http://members.verizon.net/olsongt/stackless/why_stackless.html#concurrency-might-just-might-be-the-next-big-programming-paradigm
which I agree with...however...if you make a bunch of microthreads in
Stackless...they're not going to take advantage of multiple cores or
cpu's, right?  Or am I wrong about that?

I thought that stackless was a way to provide faux-concurrency, sort
of like Twisted, that makes it easier to conceptualize threads without
necessarily giving you the performance boost of a truly threaded app.

Am I off base?  I have a dual core intel laptop.  If I write a process
intensive app that uses stackless with their threading stuff, should I
see improved performance?  I _could_ test it on my own...but then
what's the point of the internet?  This thing exists so that I _don't_
have to test...right?

Chris