[Chicago] code review tools

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Tue Jul 24 16:14:52 CEST 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 10:30 PM, Tim Ottinger wrote:

> How about pair programming? It's a very nice tool that makes
> reviews almost transparent. :-)
> Not even 1/2 kidding.

What defines a code review tool.  In Mondrian's case, it could be
done with parallel programming. But even though you are looking at
DIFF from a pre-commit (facilitated from Perforce), the review is not
simultaneous.

In the case of simultaneous parallel programming code review, Adium
could be considered a code review tool.  Not so long ago we used GNU
Screen to connect a team of people to a single session to do code
review through VIM or Emacs (its politically correct to mention them
both, but it was VIM I was really using at the time).

Although, when I first thought of code review, I was thinking of some
automatic code review like a LINT or analyzer.

It would help if we could define the requirements of the code review
prior to recommending tools.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog