[Chicago] Python in local school systems?

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 21:54:10 CET 2007

I'd be surprised if any do. Most high schools that teach Computer
Science tend to have an AP Computer Science course, which has to be in
Java, and potentially a regular CS course which is meant to attract a
larger crowd and as such was traditionally restricted to VB (I would
get C# or VB.NET would also be good candidates) so that folks can
easily throw together pretty GUIs and write Tic-Tac-Toe.

I think one of the challenges of teaching CS courses in high school to
folks that don't want to pursue CS as a major is making the course
interesting. With a RAD tool like VB is easy for everyone to throw
together a nice app that can do something they like. With something
like Python that might be harder to do (Tkinter or WxPython
anyone???).

Although I don't teach Python, I have a couple of
suggestions/suggestions for Python course at a high school level that
I'd like to share.

Regards,

Cosmin Stejerean