[Chicago] Python in local school systems?

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 01:19:06 CET 2007

The idea is great, the problem is timing. By high schools most kids
don't care enough to learn thinking skills. If you were to teach basic
cognitive skills using Python it should probably be done in 3rd to 4th
grade. I went to a US high school and I can assure you by the
difference between the CS course teaching VB and the CS course
teaching Java that most people don't care to learn programming or
thinking skills unless it either gives them college credit (the Java
class) or they see it as a fun and easy way to boost their GPA (the VB
class).

1st through 8th grade I went to school in Romania and we started a
basic CS course somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade (it was a while
ago) teaching programming in Basic. I feel this is a better age to
teach cognitive skills and logic then high school.

I'd really like to see a high school program that can accomplish what
you describe, it would definitely benefit everybody. I just feel that
it will be an uphill battle and accomplish little if it isn't made a
little easier to swallow for the kids.

- Cosmin