[Chicago] Trac?

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 22:35:04 CEST 2006

I'm also a big fan of Trac.  My only complaint with it is that many of
the administrative functions can only be accomplished through a
line-oriented command interpreter (using Python's 'cmd' module) via a
shell session rather than over the web interface, which is a little
cumbersome.  This is understandable given the relatively young age of
the system, though.

Aside from that, at work we've recently hooked up a number of our
public web interfaces--customer support, tech support, bug reporting,
and so forth--to automatically submit tickets into a single Trac
instance.  This required us to look into the source code, since there
wasn't much documentation about it online, and I'm pleased to say that
the source is eminently readable and the architecture is elegant and
straightforward.  Just import a few modules from the 'trac' package,
create an Environment object that points to your trac installation,
then make a Ticket object, add attachments to it by creating
Attachment objects, and so forth.  All in all, a pleasant experience.

- Atul