[Chicago] Broadband in Chicago

Tom McMahon tmcmahon at speakeasy.net
Tue May 9 06:25:23 CEST 2006

   I've been very happy with my speakeasy service and I have had quick
resolution to line trouble in the past.  I've been with them Speakeasy for
about 5 years now at two different locations with reliable service.  Even
though service is excellent, Carl does have a point about price vs
performance when compared to cable.  I still do like the finer grain control
over my services and not sharing the local loop as a LAN.   My main
recommendation would be to avoid SBC as your backend carrier if at all
possible when going DSL.  I've had great success with Speakeasy with Covad
www.covad.com as my CLEC.

Back in the day,  I did have 21stCentury cable right when RCN purchased
them.  The quality of service went down dramatically and the price went up
after the RCN acquisition and scared me off.  That was a while ago so things
probably have changed.  It seems like the bigger the company you have
service from,  the lower the quality of service (cable, dsl, etc).

Also checkout www.dslreports.com  as an additional resource for broadband
experiences and tools.

Tom M