[Chicago] Pycon 2008

Peter Fein pfein at pobox.com
Mon May 1 23:13:41 CEST 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 03:55 pm, Jason R Huggins wrote:
> On a serious note, I'm +1 that we should host it, but I'm also unavailable
> to help lead this.

Likewise.  I'm sure I could lend a hand, but 2008 is well beyond my mental
horizons. If I still live in Chicago, I could, y'know, make name tags or pull
network cable or something.

> Yes, but (low) cost isn't everything. I don't want newcomers to think that
> O'Hare (and what you can walk to around it) == Chicago. Conferences at
> airport hotels are for sleezy wannabee tycoon types selling
> get-rich-quick-with-real-estate "infotapes". I don't want that karma.

Maybe The Donald Trump Real Estate Conference (or whatever it's called) will
be there are the same time!

> Seriously, shlepping it onto the blue to take the 45 minute trek into
> downtown to experience "the night-life" would be a total buzz kill for the
> poor airport-bound event-goers. Lots of people would just hang out at the
> O'Hare Hotel's bar and think "Wow, this sucks". Being near the center of
> downtown (either Mag Mile, Millennium Park, or the Theatre District) would
> not suck. My company has had very good results with the Allegro hotel

That's debatable.  Personally, I think downtown sucks, but I live here.  I
recognize an abandoned warehouse on the far west side might not be the best
place to hold a conference, but it would definitely be cooler than downtown.

Just sayin'.

+1 abandoned-warehouse-ly yours,
--Pete

--