[Chicago] Sprint, Imagescape

Fawad Halim fawad at fawad.net
Thu Mar 16 00:29:21 CET 2006

On Wed, March 15, 2006 15:59, Ian Bicking wrote:
> Fawad Halim wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've created an SVN repository at
>>

>> http://opensvn.csie.org/chipy
>>

> Cool; it'll be nice to have total control over the repository.
>

>> The corresponding viewcvs is :
>> https://opensvn.csie.org/viewcvs.cgi/?root=chipy
>> and trac is : https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/chipy/
>
> Also very nice!
>

>> If we come up with a better/different hosting for svn, opensvn gives us
>>  the option of creating a dump of the repository.
>>
>> We can create user accounts the day of the sprint, or if we need to do
>> some prep before then, please email me so I can create one for you.
>
> What access method are you using?  I usually use simple HTTP Basic, so
> people send me lines made from htpasswd to set up an account.
The repository uses HTTP(S) Basic. Unfortunately, I don't have access to
the raw htpasswd file. What I do need is the required userid and initial
password. If I specify an email address, that gets a link that lets the
user reset their password.

>> I missed the 9 o'clock thing last night, but, as far as I know, there
>> hasn't been any discussion about the design yet. It'd be nice if someone
>>  more experienced in organizing/participating in sprints could advise
>> about how designing the app would work.
>
> I forgot about the 9 o'clock thing too.  I'll try to remember to get on
> #chipy tonight, though.
>

> I think it would be useful if someone put a hello-world app in the
> repository before the sprint; i.e., complete structure.
>
> Personally I think some people spend too much time in design at sprints
> -- better just to dive in.  But that's my general philosophy on
> programming.  Anyway, usually there is a "coach", who may not do much
> programming but is available for questions, keeps an eye out for any
> integration issues, etc.  And then some small groups.  But it doesn't
> require a lot of planning; it often just happens that one person goes
> around answering questions.
>
> We should probably talk about scope -- probably at the sprint -- and do
> a really quick mockup (UMLish, or UIish).  Then see if we can divide into
> groups, and try to commit and svn up often so we can break each other's
> stuff earlier rather than later.  And regroup often.
>
> While I write this Chris chimed on the Selenium sprint.  That was more
> organized than most of us were at PyCon ;)  That sounds good too.

Yeah, I'm really liking the idea of doing a reality check every hour.

> Lastly dumb hubs and extra ethernet cables would be appreciated for the
> sprint.  If anyone has a wireless router that is easy to set up, also
> appreciated -- I can bring mine, but I find it hard to setup sometimes.

I can bring a hub or two.

> --
> Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  /  http://blog.ianbicking.org

-fawad