[Chicago] python intro for 13 yo -- suggestions?

Brantley Harris deadwisdom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 22:56:32 CEST 2006

HyperCard was da-shit.  It was absolutely remarkable.  I remember
making an email application for my highschool (back when it wasn't
connected to the internet) so that students and teachers could "email"
eachother over the LAN.

If you really want to go down this road, I suggest Flash.  Flash is a
direct evolution of HyperCard, it just adds "layers" to the paradigm.
It's very fun, allowing you to interact with objects that you can draw
on the screen.  It holds your hand at the beginning (like HyperCard
did), but allows you to branch out to do whatever you want with a
prototype language that is very similar to JavaScript called
ActionScript.

Really though, one must think of the student.  If they are interested
in art, and graphics, Flash is perfect.  If they are more
mathmatically minded, I think Python is a better fit.  And if you
really want to get them on a rigorous track, C/C++ all the way.