[Chicago] topics

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Jan 5 01:13:02 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 03:10:43PM -0600, Michael Tobis wrote:
> I think the seven-segment contest is a good topic for lightning talks
> by participants. Maybe we could go in descending order of score (I'm
> 170 officially) with Martin and Ian going last?

I'd been thinking about a slightly longer presentation (that I'd rather
kibbitz than put together, alas) that might sketch the trip from a
simple and obvious version (9 chars in three strings per digit, maybe
using a dict just to increase the eventual "compression ratio") to the
cleverly compacted winner.  I like your idea better.  It probably won't
be as cohesive, but it's be rather less work for any one person!

> I'm OK with meeting in Downer's especially if Martin can show up and
> explain the winner's multiple radix trick to me. I am happy to offer

I'll have to review it again.  It's related to but different than the
precise trick I actually had in mind (anyone remember rad40?).

> Time for yet another Web frameworks showdown?

Surely we've had enough of those for a while - maybe the next one can
be a hoedown?!

--
...that obsessive conviction, so common among authors and composers,
that all similarities between their works and any others which appear