[Chicago] Python classes

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:54:33 CET 2006

As far as I know, though, there are no organized classes of this sort
(Python or otherwise) in Chicago outside institutional settings. I
think what you are trying to do is an excellent father/son project,
and I'd like to help out.

I'd be more than happy to make your acquaintance, and possibly
nucleate a beginners' interest group within ChiPy. If we can attract
enough beginners to pull together a regular evening group (say, twice
a month) so much the better. I probably would do this gratis the first
time out.

I think the 18th in parallel with the sprint would work out as a time
for us to meet. You will need a laptop with python and a
python-friendly text-editor (or IDE) installed.

Michael Tobis

PS I will be teaching a Python for non-professionals (a.k.a. escape
from your math requirement) class at Loyola this summer, and have long
been interested in the thought processes of beginners.

I'm also in touch with one of the authors of How To Think Like a
Computer Scientist, Jeff Elkner. He is a high school teacher with
probably more experience teaching Python to beginners than anyone
else. We met at PyCon this weekend and are kicking around ideas for
some sort of interactive media version of his text.