[Chicago] [Fwd: Any ChiPy plans for PyCon 2008?]

Ted Pollari tcp at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 6 20:57:53 CET 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 12:43 PM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

> It will be nice to be able to go to PyCon.  I have no particular
> contact
> with Northwestern other than living in Evanston.  If DePaul looks
> like it
> won't work as a location for some reason, I'd be happy to see what's
> available at Northwestern.

Given the space questions with DePaul, it may be worth looking into
NWU.  If you could do that, it'd be good, I think.

I've given a lot of thought to the UofC, given my affiliation(s), but
sadly it's lacking good public transit or hotel options (one of the
two might make it work, assuming we could secure space, which I'm
betting we could).

Those same two issues handicap the Fermilab idea, IMHO.  It certainly
would have big-time geeky-cool points, but it's difficult to get to/
from hotels and restaurants, not to mention downtown, from what I
remember of my visits there.

The suburban hotel/conference center idea really doesn't excite me,
but it might be an option if it's suitably close to O'Hare.  (Hence
my suggestion of the Schaumburg option) -- moreover, the current
location is in suburban Dallas, so this isn't  a deal killer, but
it's far from ideal, IMHO.

-t