[Chicago] Ode to <>

John Melesky list at phaedrusdeinus.org
Thu Aug 31 21:26:56 CEST 2006

> If I got a vote (which I don't), I'd stick with <>.  I never ever use !=.
> OTOH, I regularly type = instead of ==, so maybe I'll lose that bad habit.

I read that this morning and, though i don't see the need to get rid of
either, i do think != is the one to keep. <> has many benefits, but
semantically implies arguments which can fit into a sequence.

To put it another way, can one object be < another object? Or >? I know
the two objects can be ==, and i know they can be (not ==), but < and >
are properties of sortable items, which the objects may not be.

I have no idea if that's the basis of Guido's mandate, but that's where
i am.

-johnnnnnnn