[Chicago] [python-advocacy] Marketing Python - An Idea Whose Time Has Come

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 22:49:51 CEST 2006

My point is not that we need a "killer app" like Rails, nor is it
about HOW the Ruby community picked up their promotional skills.
(You'd have to give the Pragmatic guys some credit too, as well as the
Coudal/37 signals/Rails axis.)

The point is, if there is Foundation money for this, one of the things
that ought to be considered is hiring or allying with some marketing
professionals to see what they could do for us. (Or are there already
some reading this?)

Maybe the whole idea is so alien to the culture as to be infeasible,
but I think it's worth considering.

re Tim's suggestions:

I don't know as python.org or the PSF ought to recommend one framework
or tool over another, but the idea of putting more effort into
organizing the options in a meaningful way is a very good one.
Especially in the web frameworks space.

After three years as a python programmer and two years as a python
fanatic, I still would have no idea which tools to pick up to do what.
A good friend who runs a Perl web shop told me he had the impression
that Python had nothing to compare with Rails.

yet another time-consuming suggestion:

Make the docs more useful! (Yes it's nothing new, but it ought to be
represented on the list.)

Python is so powerful that coding is much easier than documentation!
While this is a good problem to have that doesn't mean we shouldn't
try to solve it.

mt