[Chicago] Unix Development on OSX was Re: OSX Python

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Wed Apr 5 20:01:19 CEST 2006

Recently, I have been using ddd <http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/>
with makefiles from VIM to debug Unix builds on OSX. In runs on X11
although.  And of course it has some Python PDB integration although
I have not gotten to checking this out yet.   Besides that, I use a
lot of Xcode which is a nice IDE build on top of gdb and gcc. This is
much more Unix like than Codewarrior, which is dead now because they
did not want to go to Intel.

Basically, OSX 's unix is nice and you should be able to build
anything you want on your mac. Darwin port is nice when you do not
have the time to fiddle with headers and compile flags.

Python has amazing OSX support. Both, on the unix level and on a
higher level. I think here <http://undefined.org/python/> is where I
got the Python version I run. But, hey, OSX has shipped with Python
all along and it works just fine. Although, one thing to be careful
about is to realize which Python your running.

On the BSD level, most of the headers are the same you will use on
other platforms. If your careful you know what your doing you can mix
some of these with some of the System stuff.

-- bhr