[Chicago] Ruby/Python meeting, with DHH

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Sep 13 21:39:21 CEST 2005

George K. Thiruvathukal wrote:
> I'm not sure I have all the context leading up to this e-mail. There are
> some things I would like to see us do at LUC:

You didn't miss much context, just a couple emails between John, David,
Adrian, and myself.  I don't know what exactly the format would be for
this, but probably not like a typical ChiPy meeting (which is just a
bunch of us hanging out, with a relatively informal presentation on
something).

We *could* all just hang out, and that would be cool; I guess we have to
decide, and advertise it accordingly.

> 1. Host a ChiPy meeting. Based on average attendance, I can offer our
> conference room.

Well, we've been getting around 15 (?) people at meetings recently.  The
Ruby meetup I was at had maybe 15 people, and I think they might have
placed a limit on it.  So I dunno what to expect... 40 people?  Is there
a space available for that many?

> 2. Plan for the next PyCon. I'm hopeful that we can do something about
> conference space in '06-'07 due to a number of exciting building
> projects going on here at Loyola.

That would be great; Chicago was part of a 3-way tie for first place for
preferred PyCon locations, so if we have the space I think we can get
the conference (in 2007).

> When is the next ChiPy gathering? I'd be interested to do something in
> October or (better) November at our 820 N. Michigan location.

October 13 and November 10 are the next (regular) meetings.  I don't
think this event will really replace the meeting (unless we decide we're
feeling too lazy to organize both).  But that discussion can go in a
different thread.