[Chicago] capturing output from subprocesses

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Nov 8 19:40:04 CET 2005

Noel Thomas Taylor wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> I could try that, but in the case of the real application whose output I
> want to capture, I have no control over how much output it produces.

I thought it would be an interesting test to understand exactly what is
going on, even if it isn't exactly what you are expecting to receive.

> Do you have any thoughts about recapturing the output of an aborted child
> process before the memory that is buffering its output gets blown away?

Since it is OS buffering, shouldn't the OS handle that for you?  I don't
know; I would suggest starting with a test, then finding something that
passes that test.