[Chicago] guido @ google

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Dec 22 19:34:53 CET 2005

Michael Tobis wrote:
> Google uses Python for the things Python is good for. I would guess
> they use C for the heavy lifting. I have at least once received a web
> form from Google with a ".py" extension though.
>
> I would guess that the per-client work is often done in Python and the
> heavy-lifting server processes are in something else, mostly C or C++
> most likely.

They use C++ and Python with SWIG, and Java for some of the backend
accounting stuff.  As far as I've heard, they don't use much of anything
else.  Well, Javascript and XSLT and other stuff like that, but that
doesn't count, right?  I've heard they are starting to use MySQL, but
only somewhat experimentally.  The use of C++ seems to be primarily for
speed, and they frequently port Python code to C++ and create SWIG
wrappings, so the two languages are more complimentary than competitors.