[Chicago] Django and Rails and PHP (oh my!)

Chris McAvoy chris.mcavoy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 04:30:46 CET 2005

On 12/20/05, Brian Ray <bray at sent.com> wrote:
> What does making a website and learning to program have to do with
> eachother? Where did learning to think like programmer even have
> anything to do with building a website?

The conversation was something like, "kids will only learn to program
if they can see results quickly."  The web is the gateway drug to a
lifetime of hardcore python addiction.

At the time (maybe a year ago?) PHP seemed to be the teen programming
drug of choice.  Nowadays, it's moving towards Rails.

I think I sort of agree with Brian though, as much as I want to
advocate Python, I'm not sure how to do that other than doing my to
keep chipy moving forward, being prepared for opportunities to tell
interested folks about the language, and making cool things with the
language of my choice.

Thaaaat said, as a working developer, I also don't want to keep my
head in a bag of fun Pythons.  I want to learn new stuff, and keep the
bag where it belongs (in my awesome toolbelt.)

As long as we're all prepared to be act when we're in the right place
at the right time, we'll be a-ok.

Chris