[Chicago] Apparently, I hate Ajax

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Dec 8 01:15:36 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:50:46PM -0600, Chris McAvoy wrote:
> http://www.usabilityviews.com/ajaxsucks.html
> Still, that's pretty cool, that somewhere I have an evil nemesis.

It's also cool to see how well those same issues do fit Ajax.  I don't
seem to have encountered a great many Ajaxy sites, but they feel to me
like they're logically valid but in practice fairly irrelevant.  Unlike
pages built using frames, they don't feel much like "regular" web
pages, and at least most of the issues feel like "well, yeah, you
wouldn't expect that to work here."  I think.  Tenatively.

Anyway, here's a real Nielsen page:

  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html

I'd be tempted to call it "le plus ca change, le plus c'est la mem
chose", but it's too annoying to get the proper accent marks into that,
so instead I'll suggest that it goes some way to proving that the web
is part of the software industry: here comes version 2 when they still
haven't gotten version 1 working right!

--
Although we may never know with complete certainty the identity
of the winner of this year's presidential election, the identity