[Chennaipy] Thoughts on AMD cpu + ubuntu?

Rengaraj D sakthirengaraj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 22:50:41 EDT 2020

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 08:06, Malayaja Chutani <malayajac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys. Hope you all are doing well!
>
> I needed someone's opinion on the following: I am thinking of getting an
> AMD CPU and running ubuntu on it, for a desktop I am thinking of building.
> I read online that ubuntu is optimised for intel CPUs, and many people have
> reported issues running the AMD cpu + ubuntu configuration. Does anyone
> have experience with this? If yes, what are your thoughts?
> Thanks in advance,
> Malayaja

In my previous company for almost 7 years we used AMD + debian for desktop
from 2007 to 2014
We don't find any issues specifically with desktop.

We have a lot of Linux distros available, Ubuntu package manager is derived
from debian.
Search for which distro suits AMD otherwise.

Always make sure the home and root partitions separate when you install.
This will help you in OS crash scenarios to save your work.

My suggestion +1 for AMD for Desktop.

Regards
Rengaraj