[Chennaipy] Minutes of Meetup 23 Nov 2019

Saravanan K find.saravanan.kalirajan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 13:05:39 EST 2019

*Minutes of Meetup*

*Talk*: Embedded Testing with Robot Framework

*Presenter*: Rengaraj D

*Highlights*:

·      Speaker straightaway started the demo while he explained the problem
statement and the solution along the way.

·      Use case that was demoed was about automating the testing of
intruder detection alarm system.

·      The system under test contained a TI Programmable micro controller
[1], Reed Switch [2] which detects whether the door is open, a multicolor
LED that is used as output indicator.

·      Using the Energia [3] electronics prototyping IDE, speaker has
demonstrated a buggy implementation of intruder detection logic. Which has
failed in the robot testcase.

·      After fixing the bug in the intruder detection system, the testcases
passed successfully.

·      While modelling end to end test cases, we should initialize the
system to a state that is opposite of the state assertion we want to make
at the end of the test to avoid false positive / false negatives of test
cases.

·      GPIO python interface[4] is used to simulate the inputs and read the
outputs and assert the desired state given the simulated inputs

[1] *https://www.ti.com/tool/MSP-EXP430FR2355
<https://www.ti.com/tool/MSP-EXP430FR2355>*

[2] *https://www.explainthatstuff.com/howreedswitcheswork.html
<https://www.explainthatstuff.com/howreedswitcheswork.html>*

[3] *https://energia.nu/ <https://energia.nu/>*

[4] *https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/gpio/python/README.md
<https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/gpio/python/README.md>*

*Talk*: Teaching Kids Python the Scratch Way

*Presenter*: Vijay Kumar

*Highlights*:

·      Scratch[1] is a programming interface that helps young people learn
to think creatively.

·      Speaker demoed an animation that bounces ball around the corners of
a box.

·      Another program that emulated a paddle and bouncing ball.

·      Scratch programming is much easy as it can be done by kids with
systemic thinking.

·      Speaker explained the various elements of scratch programming and
the internal structure of how the actors in the program are represented in
storage.

·      Speaker has written a Python VM[2] to run disassembled scratch
program. This reminded me about the final keynote of PyCon 2019 where
presented wrote a python interpreter for RUST game application code.

·      Scratch2py allows the python code to co-exist with disassembled
scratch program elements. This helps in transforming the kids’ ability to
program in scratch interface into python programming.

[1] https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/editor/?tutorial=getStarted

[2] https://github.com/bravegnu/scratch2py

*Talk*: Data compression technique using Python

*Presenter*: Ashok G

*Highlights*:

·      Speaker started with How the modern data compression technology is
influenced by age old invention of Morse code and a research paper [1] by
Claude Shannon the father of Information Theory.

·      Data compression is needed in Machine learning and deep learning
algorithms as we need to minimize the storage and transmit costs of audio,
video and text data.

·      Speaker explained the Huffman encoding as to how does it help
reducing the size of text data effectively using probability calculation of
actual data and assigning lowest possible representation to highly
frequented characters in the data.

·      Speaker also emphasized the need of compression between two entities
in a wireless transmission to use the medium(air) efficiently.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mathematical_Theory_of_Communication

[2] https://www.techiedelight.com/huffman-coding/