[Chennaipy] Minutes of May meetup: corrections in the astro talk.

Manjari Bagchi manjari.bagchi at gmail.com
Thu May 31 00:57:18 EDT 2018

Hi all,

Thanks for inviting me to give a talk in your meet-up, and also thanks to
Vivek for a summary of an astrophysics talk!
However, I would like to clarify a few issues (kept with "?") with Vivek's
summary:

> 1) They are also known neutron stars - about 10 times heavier than the sun
> - very dense and regular gravitational physics cannot be used to explain
> their gravitational behavior? (not clear how they  are different from
> black holes)

 Neutron stars are not 10 times heavier than the sun. They are 1 to 2 times
of the solar mass. They are formed when stars 10 times or more die (a
significant amount of mass is lost during the death or the supernova
explosion).

> 2) Python3 script to read this data and plot the positions on the globe -
> 3d earth image projects on to a 2d oval shaped earth on the screen.
> Used galpy for plotting(matplotlib?)

Yes, galpy did all the calculations but the plotting window was called by
matplotlib.

> 3) Project SKA - Square Kilometer Array. Huge sets of telescopes etc in
> Australia and South Africa are used to capture data. Entire world is
> involved in this project. A lot of programming is required for this. Those
> interested can contact her

 Not me, I am basically a theoretician. Interested people might think to
contact relevant persons in NCRA.

> 4) Link to the National Center for Radio Astrophysics (also contains links
> to the SKA Indian team???):

 Yes, but the team involves theoreticians also.

 Thanks and regards,
Manjari