[Chennaipy] ChennaiPy Sprints - Creating something awesome as a community.

Krishna Sangeeth KS kskrishnasangeeth at gmail.com
Sun May 24 10:19:58 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I noticed that for US Pycon which happened in Montreal earlier this year,
there was this series of activity called Sprints[1]
where a group of Python enthusiasts come together and hack on some project
that they are interested. In the original
program, there are open source projects which participates and people can
contribute to them directly.

What about trying a variant of this idea of sprints. Instead of say maybe
hacking on opensource projects , we can thinking
of the community as a whole coming together and creating an awesome Python
tutorial which could be a collection of Ipython
notebooks. Almost anyone can participate in such an activity and if
everything goes well , we can point to a resource which
our community itself has created for people who are new to python to learn.

Community could create guidelines to ensure that the content of Notebook
adheres to some quality check. Now that Github supports
IPython rendering from the repository itself, i think  it will be much
easier for a beginner to find content quickly.

This could be done fully online for a specific date or we can think of
finding a venue where those who are interested can come together
and create these tutorials together. I would think the latter is a better
option as it is also helps in the process of community building.

Like to know what you guys think.

[1] https://us.pycon.org/2015/community/sprints/

Thanks,
Krishna Sangeeth