[Chennaipy] Diversity in Chennaipy

Kiran Gangadharan me at kirang.in
Thu May 14 05:40:23 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015, at 09:34 PM, Shrayas rajagopal wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM, James Mortensen
> <james.mortensen at synclio.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I have a theory that encouragement can go a long way.  If you're a student,
> > invite the women in your classes to attend Chennaipy.  If you work, invite
> > women in your office.  If you have a sister or daughter, encourage her to go
> > out into the world and make it her own.  Don't try to "protect" her with
> > different rules or ideologies.  It's not protecting, it's restricting.
>
> well said. +1
>
> > With that said, I don't think a separate group would help; it would just
> > make this problem worse.  This just perpetuates the idea that women need to
> > be "protected".  For this to work, we need to create an environment of
> > respect for everyone, tolerance, and the idea of personal responsibility for
> > all of our actions.
>
> While I very much agree with you James, I think that an org like
> PyLadies helps with the initial hurdle of getting women into
> technology. Usually, it is this part that is very important as it can
> make or break an impression. PyLadies IMO is a great way to foster
> that impression and help bring focus to the technology where it should
> rightfully be.

While PyLadies could be a good initiative, something like that makes
sense if we
can identify key people who can help develop such a community and take
it from there.
With the kind of audience that we presently have, I don't think it's
feasible to think
about a seperate group for now.

> The fact is that we *dont* have / aren't trying hard enough to create
> the environment that you talk about. In an idealistic scenario that is
> how it should be. But in reality it really isn't that way (as you have
> remarked yourself). Reality expects, as Jacob said, you to be a
> "great" programmer or it expects you to be "cut out for" technology.
> PyLadies helps in that exact area. The focus on technology would give
> confidence (or clarity) to face what reality holds.
>
> I very much look up to all the women in tech. For them to have braced
> all that the community throws at them and stand their ground is worth
> much praise.

Kiran Gangadharan
http://kirang.in